Monday, July 7, 2014

A night at the ballet with 'Cinderella'.


Like many other 'girls', I have always loved the ballet.  As a little girl, I dreamed of taking ballet classes, but since I had asthma I was sent to swimming classes instead.  I lived vicariously through my friends, and later on, through the ballet performances I watched.  It goes without saying that I love watching 'So you think you can dance (US)', and will even admit to loving the movie 'Centrestage' (oh, the shame!).  Unfortunately Mr Brigs didn't enjoy the one and only ballet I took him to, and it has it has been at least 4-5 years since I last watched my last ballet performance.
 
When the Australian Ballet Company kindly offered me a ticket to their opening performance of 'Cinderella', I ballottéd (well, in my head anyway) and said 'yes' before you could say 'arabesque'.

'Cinderella' got more than a makeover by fairy-godmother/father choreographer Alexai Ratmansky.  Fusing wit and flair with classical technique, the former artistic director of the Bolshoi Ballet and now resident choreographer of American Ballet Theatre created a modern-day fairytale with loveable characters, with a healthy dose of  freshness and humour.  Danced to Sergei Prokofiev's beguiling and melodious score (played by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra), against surrrealist-inspired sets and costumes by French designer Jérôme Kaplan, this new Cinderella is a fantasy land of 1940s glamour, complete with a lips-shaped sofa and Schiaparelli-esque shoe-hat, a nod to Salvador Dali's surrealist world.

'Cinderella' will be performed at the Adelaide Festival Centre from the 4th to the 10th of July, and you can still purchase tickets to most performances here

I wish tomorrow's matinee sessions weren't sold out, would have loved to have taken Lil' Brigs 1 to see this!

 The fringed dresses by Jerome Kaplan were amongst my favourite costumes of this ballet, the movement it created by the Australian Ballet dancers to Alexei Ratmansky's choreography was simply mesmerizing.
 
The 'not-so-wicked' stepsisters and stepmother were brilliantly entertaining, and their dancing so incredible! I absolutely loved their costumes for the Ball, do they come in my size? 
 My 1940's vintage dress and Assad Mounser 'tiara', Chanel Reissue and Valentino Rockstud pumps:
 Outside the Theatre
 Valentino Rockstud heels (available here), Celine knot bracelet, Balenciaga bow ring, Sarah and Sebastian Line ring, Trace Bud Ring, Petite Pearl Ring, Aurelie Bidermann Love Ring, Cos wrap ring, Serge Lutens Fleur D'oranger perfume, Chanel reissue bag (occasionally you may be lucky to find one here), Chanel nailpolish in 'ballerina'.

Thanks Carmen and The Australian Ballet for my lovely night out! I had a 'Ball'!
Twitter + Facebook + Peut-être magazine (Fashion Writer and Editor) + Instagram + Bloglovin' + Shop my Wardrobe

1 comment:

  1. We saw this on the Saturday night and I totally agree with your review of this ballet! The costumes were mesmerising. My favourite costumes were also the fringe nude dresses that the Temptresses were wearing. Oh and the perfume that I wear on a daily basis right now is also SL's Fleurs d'oranger purchased from the SL boutique at the Palais Royal. Instead of a spray bottle, I'd purchased the bell shaped bottle which I now decant to an atomizer.

    ReplyDelete