Thursday, October 24, 2019

Spring Carnival Style Part 2: Melbourne Cup


If there's ever an occasion to go all out in terms of colour, boldness and fun, I'm pretty sure Melbourne Cup has to take the cake.  As soon as I saw this gingham 'That's Daaling' dress in Binny's lookbook, I knew it was the one I wanted to style for her Spring Carnival edit.  I mean, it's gingham! In gorgeous bold colours, ruffled and tiered! How could I not? It was begging to be styled in a super fun way, and boy, did I have fun styling it (the most fun look of the four I styled for Binny, you can see Derby Day look here)!

It is all about bold bright colours this year for Spring Carnival, think red, shocking pink, cobalt, green, yellow and orange, as is asymmetry and volume.  Exaggerated silhouettes, such as this one, is best paired with structure for a fresher look, so I picked this gorgeously glossy Cult Gaia bag, that is pretty enough to sit on your display cabinet to ground the look somewhat. I love to contrast colours and textures, and even though everything is "matching", I like to do so in a balanced way, the silk top mini topknot headband by Sylvy Earl is pure colour but rendered elegantly, especially when juxtaposed with this crazy amazing work-of-art sculptural shoes by Dolce and Gabbana (seriously, how stunning are they?).  To keep a look from looking too try-hard, I find it is best for the accessories not to match perfectly (for example, red shoes, red bag, red headwear), but to pick an element or colour or theme, that you see recurring within the outfit, and look for harmony within it all, if that makes sense.


 
 

Sunglasses: Gucci (avail. at Forzieri)

Ring: Vintage

Earrings: Betina de Luca x Wai Wai parrot earrings, Iosselliani drop earrings (avail. at Luisaviaroma)

Headband: Sylvy Earl (available in other gorgeous colours too)

Bangle: Objet Singulier (from Matches)

Bag: Cult Gaia Eos bag (green seems to be sold out everywhere, but available in brown at MatchesFashion and David Jones, and in white at Saks )

Shoes: Dolce & Gabbana Majolica vase sandals from MyTheresa

Dress: Binny (still available in most sizes at Binny, otherwise search for 'That's Daaling' dress if your size is sold out)



Styling and photography by yours truly.



Mani idea for this outfit (although I had a neutral colour on myself), love this 'smarties' idea by Dry by London:

Image from @drybylondon

Twitter + Facebook + Peut-être magazine (Fashion Writer and Editor) + Instagram + Bloglovin' + Shop my Wardrobe

No comments:

Post a Comment