Monday, January 17, 2011

Sydney Pt 1: 'Twas the day before Christmas...


If my sister 'E' looks like she's about to pop, that is because she was! A few hours later, after Christmas Eve dinner, her water broke...

The dish that started it all...very spicy & tasty: Sambal Udang (sambal prawns) at Mamak Restaurant (both my sister and I had one each)

I don't know who's smile is bigger: my husband's when he was eating the Malaysian food he grew up with at Mamak's, or me at a Brazilian restaurant...

Rojak (Malaysian salad). Prawn and coconut fritters, fried tofu, hard-boiled eggs, freshly shredded yam bean and cucumber, topped with a thick spicy peanut sauce. - hubby loves this, but I must admit I am not a fan...

Ais Kacang (left) - a Malaysian concoction/dessert made with red beans, corn, grass jelly, rose-syrup and sweetened milk on a mountain of shaved ice (I'm not a fan, but mom loves it).
Teh Halia (centre) - my first time trying this drink of Classic Malaysian sweetened tea, ‘stretched’ (poured from one cup to the other) for a frothy topping with a hint of ginger.
Roti Kaya (right) - Malaysian 'pancake'/bread: crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. This one is filled with 'kaya': a traditional spread made from pandan and coconut that I can't get enough of.

Lil J thoroughly enjoyed her walk with her granddad through Hyde Park (as did we after that big lunch).

The next day she was showered with lovely Xmas pressies, including this gorgeous patent Burberry Trenchcoat from her Auntie 'E' (pictured in the first picture above), such a lucky girl!

9 comments:

  1. I love how a Malaysian meal brought on the baby! LOL, heard you had a fab Xmas and NY's! Shu xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww congratulations, your sister looks fabulous pregnant aswell, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year ♥

    *following your blog*

    Eda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first shoot of the belly is simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. both your sister and your baby are beautiful.... : D
    and hello to the Malaysian food as I am a Malaysian Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so big and gorgeous already!!!

    I went to Mamak (the new one in Chatswood) the other day...sooo yum. My favorites were the roti, satay ayam and sweet milk tea. Delish.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blimey she looks amazingly glamourous for someone just about to have a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very late Merry Xmas dear Brigadeiro. (Feliz Natal!)

    But a supper Happy New Year.
    May little J grow stronger and more beautiful eeryday, may Brigadeiro be more successful and may you and your family be blessed, always.

    Um super beijo - Grazi

    ReplyDelete