Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Popbasic's Sunday collection - easy like Sunday morning...


When Maddy (aka Madeline Veenstra) first emailed me about Popbasic, I was genuinely excited about the brilliant concept behind her 'baby' 'Popbasic', what ensued was an embarassingly gushing reply from yours truly:

"What a brilliant concept to Popbasic! (...)
That's probably enough exclamation marks for one email, but I was/am genuinely excited for you, Popbasic's concept is so simple and clever. (...) But your carefully curated pieces are versatile/wearable/classic and elegant 'pop basics' ;) Well done!" (seriously embarassing)
The entire premise behind Popbasic is that Maddy wanted to create a service for women to build their basics and trend pieces gradually, without sacrificing quality, by creating micro-collections.  Pieces that could be added to anyone's existing wardrobe, as building blocks to those who are starting a new one, or just those who want to freshen their existing wardrobe with easily wearable pieces. Now whenever Maddy realizes that something is missing from her wardrobe she instantly starts researching styles and fabrics.

The pieces in her 'Sunday Collection' particularly appealed to me.  I have recently gone on a silk shirt binge, and they are true staples for my wardrobe, especially now the weather is starting to cool down.  I love the versatility of a silk button down shirt, effortlessly elegant, with sneakers, boots or heels, jeans, pants, skirts or even under dresses...it goes with most items already in anybody's wardrobe.  The microcollection comprised of a blue silk shirt, a white gold wishbone ring and a matching wishbone bangle, I seriously baulked when I saw the price for the whole collection was $85 including international shipping!  This micro-collection is perfect to use on a lazy Sunday, or a party-filled one.

I must admit I am very picky, and don't often accept 'gifts', as I would only say yes to something I actually love, would actually buy and wear (because my wardrobe is already packed to the rafters).  When I was generously gifted the 'Sunday Collection' from Popbasic/Maddy it was not under the premise that I would write this post, but I am genuinely excited about Popbasic, the Sunday Collection, and had to share it with you all.

I was so excited and intrigued about Popbasic, that I emailed Maddy some questions, which she kindly replied to.  I told her some were just out of my own curiosity, and that I wouldn't share them all with you.  But just in case others are as curious and intrigued about Popbasic as I was, here are my questions and Maddy's answers, unedited:

CC: How long will Sunday collection be available for?  
MV (from Popbasic): Our Sunday collection will be available until the 20th of March, or until sold out. 

When will the next collection be released?  
25th of March.

I was dumbfounded to find out the whole collection is only $85 INCLUDING international shipping!!! That's amazing! How do you manage that?  
All of our pieces are Popbasic own, so we're able to completely cut out the middle man and offer beautiful pieces at unheard of retail prices.

Will items on the permanent collection be similarly priced?  
They will be. All of our pieces will be under $100 with free international shipping.

Speaking of permanent collection, that is very exciting! When do you envision this to start being stocked on your website? Are we allowed to know which items are 'making the cut'?  
Our first permanent piece is our Le Breton, it will be available in classic navy and white later this month. Afterwards, we're releasing the Le Breton in red and white stripe. We're also bringing back our leather clutch in an assortment of colours.

What were you doing before you started Popbasic, before your move to San Francisco*? And what lead you to start it? It is such a brilliant yet simple concept!   
Prior to Popbasic, believe it or not, I was an economist. But I always had an interest in fashion and retail. During university I worked at Country Road for a few years, so I grew an appreciation for good quality pieces, and have an understanding of how difficult they are to come by. That was one of the main reasons I started Popbasic. I had sold so many of my pieces on Ebay, that I realized I didn't have my wardrobe foundation right. So I set out with the mission of making the perfect wardrobe for myself.

What are your plans for Popbasic? It has received great press and exposure, I love the sense of community you have created around it**!  
Thank you! I'm super proud of the community we have built around Popbasic. I'm really excited to launch our permanent line and also our silk blouse series later in the year.

Ok, I know I had better, more clever questions, but my cold/flu is preventing any brain cells from functioning, so apologies once again.  Is there anything you'd like to share about Popbasic that I haven't asked? If I could just clarify that it's not a subscription, and that our micro collections are all limited edition? Thanks!

* Madeline is originally from Australia but relocated to San Francisco.
**Popbasic has an amazing community through their Facebook page

 The beauty about wardrobe staples is that you can mix and match them to create countless outfits, here just swapping shoes takes this look from day to night:
Outfit details: Silk shirt: Popbasic (with white gold wishbone ring and bangle on it - all available here), Bag: Proenza Schouler PS11 bag (available at Net-a-Porter HERE, HERE and directly from Proenza Schouler HERE), Shoes: Nike Roshe Run sneakers (above) and Celine Bam Bam sandals (from Barneys NY - below pic), Watch: Seiko, Sunglasses: Ray Ban Folding Wayfarer, Leather Pants: Vince (similar here), Rings: Balenciaga bow ring (from Matches Fashion), and usual e-ring and wedding ring.

All pics via www.popbasic.com alternating with my own pics via iPhone.

Thanks again Maddy!

xx


Twitter + Facebook + Peut-être magazine (Fashion Writer and Editor) + Instagram + Bloglovin' + Shop my Wardrobe

No comments:

Post a Comment