Friday, August 29, 2008

Akira - My Wedding Dress



This blog is starting to look like an 'ode' to Akira.
I have been a huge admirer of his work for as long as I can remember. A fortunate series of events lead me to change my wedding dress from a tulle and French lace piece by Monique L'Huillier to the dress above 2 months before my wedding. It was fate.

PS. As requested by a lovely reader, I added more photos of my wedding dress 'in action' in a new post: "Akira - Wedding Dress (Part Deux)"


Picture of the dress after I tried it on at the Akira store (it is the dress the model wore on the runway, which has a tea-stained overlay, whereas mine is in ivory. On the pink chair: Chloe Silverado in black and Dries Van Noten dress.

After leaving the Akira store I met my (then fiance, now) hubby, and we went to check out my uncle's furniture as part of an exhibition at the Museum (in Melbourne). As it turns out, Akira Isogawa's work was also part of the exhibition, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw MY dress, which I had just tried on! Tried to play it cool, so hubby wouldn't notice. (n.b. If you click on the pic you can see a bit my uncle's bench and 'chair' to the right)

A little description on the dress at the Melbourne Museum (to enlarge any of these photos, just click on them)


Please ignore the ugly hangers! I can't believe this is the first time I've noticed them, after 18 months!

It is by pure chance (or twist of fate) that the bridesmaid dresses that I bought earlier in the year matched the red trim of my wedding dress. Especially seeing my original Monique L'Huillier dress looked NOTHING like this Akira dress.

5 comments:

  1. =o a.m.a.z.i.n.g! the detail is just jaw dropping, i think it's a good thing that you picked Akira over L'Huillier as she tends to lean towards more conventional styled wedding dresses whereas Akira's pieces are just jaw dropping and unique =]

    p.s: congratulations on the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! As gorgeous as the L'Huillier dress was, it wasn't quite 'me': http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1434/1480547073_af675e0197.jpg?v=0

    I ended up selling it after I bought the Akira less than 2 months before the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the l'huillier was also stunning! but definitely think the one you chose was perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! what can I say, I'm sure you looked so beautiful in that dress. Im getting married in January and can't find "the" dress till now. Is it any chance that you want to sell it? or maybe you know were can i get this dress from? Thanks

    ReplyDelete