A few months ago I went wild for these shoes worn by Aimee Song from Song of Style*. Since I hardly wear heels nowadays (especially after my last fall down the stairs in July, when I think I damaged my foot's collateral ligament, oops!), I rationalized with myself that I shouldn't even attempt walking in them, and managed to resist them. I was absolutely ecstatic when I found out a few weeks ago that these gorgeous shoes by Aminah Abdul Jallil are now available in flats!
I seriously couldn't get them fast enough, and knew exactly when I wanted to inaugurate them, to a function held at the Art Gallery of SA, where I'd get the chance to view the amazing 'Fashion Icons' exhibition and to see and hear Australian designer Toni Maticevski talk about his work (I still have a piece from one of his early collections). The exhibition "Fashion Icons: Masterpieces from the collection of the Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris" is seriously incredible, showcasing breathtaking original Couture pieces by Christian Dior, Valentino, Gres, Chanel dating back several decades, as well as RTW (my favourite designer Dries Van Noten is also included), these pieces were curated from an exhibition that has never left Paris until now, and isn't planned to go anywhere else either after it returns)**. Anyway, if you are here in Australia, I highly recommend you going to see this exhibition (open until February 2015)! I might scram together a little post about this exhibition later this week.
Anyway, apologies for rambling, back to the flats: since I've been asked a few questions about them on Instagram, I thought I'd answer them here in case others want to find out the same thing:
- They run true to size for me (I take a size 38 in almost every shoe, UK 5, US/AUS 7.5 or 8 - I usually say 8, but some shoes are confusing - I got these in a US 8).
- I've only worn them once so far, did a bit of walking, stood for a bit, and they were comfy...it wasn't extensive walking, but so far so good.
- The front is cut on the diagonal, so my wide feet do stick out a little.
- Bear in mind that unless you are blessed with stick thin/ long legs, the ankle cuff/bow will shorten the leg somewhat, so I plan on wearing mine with midi/long skirts and/or cropped pants.
- They also come in heels (obviously) - 0.5" front platform 5" heel.
Aimee Song (pic from Song of Style)
Blair Edie (pic from Atlantic Pacific) - Carrie style.
Photify print of my strawberry photograph in the Ikea Ribba frame, Kate Spade 'Light up the Room' candle (purchased from Kate Spade), Ellery silk collar (limited edition, no longer available) and Aminah Abdul Jillil bow flatsEverlane), Bag: Witchery (from decades ago!), Shoes: Aminah Abdul Jillil***
all pics my own via iPhone for my Instagram (unless otherwise stated)
* Isn't it crazy that only a few years ago she regularly visited and commented on this blog (before my little ones took away my time and attention from this blog)? I even remember her asking a few times (so I finally bit the bullet and answered her query) on how I could afford my purchases, my, how the tables have turned!
**Funnily, I recall the exhibition being underway while I was in Paris last year, and it was free to enter! Sadly, after Paris Couture Week I was so fashion-ed out that I didn't go (kicking myself very hard about that)
***Thanks Aminah! I think I might just have to buy another (or 3 more) pairs of these flats, I am seriously in love with them!
Twitter + Facebook + Peut-être magazine (Fashion Writer and Editor) + Instagram + Bloglovin' + Shop my Wardrobe