Friday, October 18, 2019

Spring Carnival Style Part 1: Derby Day


I just realised my last outfit post was not only two (two!) years ago (sorry blog), but that in it I mentioned I had styled a campaign shoot for Australian label Binny, and that I would share more about that, and....I never did (nor any of my previous styling work either in fact).  So my sincere apologies about that!  It is always a pleasure working with Binny, and I always have a ball styling her gorgeously fun pieces.  It has even changed my own personal style, with the addition of too many gorgeous Binny 'print' pieces to my wardrobe to mention (look ma, I wear prints now!).   My latest collaborative project with Binny was a little different: instead of styling a beautiful, tall model, well, the pictures below give away whom I had got to style instead.

 So this time I had the pleasure of styling a Spring Carnival edit for Binny, choosing pieces from her latest Spring 2019 collection 'A Passage to India'.

I feel I must preface this by admitting that I have never attended any racing event (Spring or not), but that's one of my favourite things about styling, stepping into someone else's shoes, and creating looks for that person instead of myself; in this instance, melding in my own personal style.

My strongest association to Racing Style comes from an old classic movie :"My Fair Lady".  Who can forget Audrey Hepburn's incredible black and white ensemble, with billowy ruffles and oversized bows?  So here is the first of the four looks I styled for Binny's Spring Carnival edit, for Derby Day, where the 'dress code' is monochorome in either all white, all black, or black and white.  Binny's uber dreamy Poppadom dress was perfection itself, with its ruffled neckline and billowy sleeves and ethereal pleated chiffon.  I used to ato see the racing fashion (particularly in 2019) is moving to more fluid dresses, that are soft and body skimming rather than restrictive and figure-hugging, A-line silhouettes and soft fabrics that move and flow with you.  This Poppadom dress ticks all the boxes, complete with its ruffled neckline that is "so hot right now" (a la Zoolander), as are its billowy sleeves, which paired with structure, puts a modern date twist on a classic silhouette.

I'm afraid this dress has already sold out on Binny's site (no surprise here, did you see how gorgeous Bella Thomas is in it?).  But email them and they can point you to their stockists who may still have this dress in stock, or a quick google search may lead you to some left, such as here, here, here and here.

You can also see my Melbourne Cup look here.



Headbands are set to dominate 2019 Spring Carnival, embellished with petals or leaves, pearls, and crystals.  I  prefer a headband or crown to a fascinator for a fresher feel, and this beauty by Sylvy Earl (remember my last post) was perfect for this ensemble, the gold helix echoing the ruffled neckline so perfectly.



Pearls pearls pearls, whether on your headband, on a hair clip (or more than one, worn layered together), or even your bag and jewellery, there is a reason it is a timeless classic.


Round and square bags are trending for 2019, and even if they weren't, I really wanted a circular bag for this look, again to echo the ondulations on this dress, which I repeated with a cute hoop with drop pearl earrings.



I wanted to add some texture to the mix and introduced this crystal and feather belt by Rosantica (available at Net-a-Porter), in fact, I must admit I wasn't very familiar with this brand until this styling project, but wow!  From earrings, to belts, to bags, too many fabulous pieces to pick from!



And I cannot believe I have not mentioned these gorgeous sunray pleats...LOVE!


Ah, these shoes by Jimmy Choo! I love big bows and I cannot lie...



Taking another moment to appreciate this gorgeous sleeves, I mean, seriously...


Dress: Binny Pomppadom dress (avail. hereherehere and here)

Shoes: Jimmy Choo Aveline Sandals (avail. in black from Jimmy Choo and Moda Operandi, in white from Saks Fifth Ave and Bloomingdale's,


BagRosantica Yoko Ono pearl gold bag (sadly it seems it has been so popular it has sold out while I drafted this post!), also love this version (available at Marissa and in black at Moda Operandi - I almost chose this bag instead, it was a tough call)

HeadbandSylvy Earl Gold and Pearl Helix  (avail. in David Jones)

Bracelet: Gabriela Artigas delicate cuff (avail. in silver from Shopbop)

Sunglasses: Gucci Cat eye sunglasses (avail. from John Lewis)

Earrings: Shop the Curated (no longer avail., similar at NAP)



Styling and photography by yours truly.


EXTRA

Spring Carnival (this year in particular) is the occasion when you really do match everything, the headwear, earrings, bracelet, dress, shoes, bag, and I think the nails as well, and here are some ideas of what I would have done were I more skilled in the nail art department:

@betina_goldstein
@drybylondon (in gold foil would look amazing!)

That's the first look here, can't wait to share the other looks!  

Talk soon.

xx
CC




Twitter + Facebook + Peut-être magazine (Fashion Writer and Editor) + Instagram + Bloglovin' + Shop my Wardrobe

No comments:

Post a Comment