Right about now hubby & I should have arrived in Buenos Aires, where we will spend 5 days & 4 nights. I am so excited, and am brushing up on the Spanish I studied for a year 12 years ago (yikes! As if my rusty Portuguese wasn't bad enough...)
Here are some of the things I plan to do whilst in Buenos Aires:
- Check out Palermo (markets & area) and Recoleta (markets & area)
- High Tea at Hotel Alvear (maybe on the 8th of December, which is hubby's b'day, what better place to have a birthday cake?) - My mother highly recommends doing so, and has 'reminded' me several times to include it in my 'to do list whilst in Buenos Aires'.
- Shop down Avenida Alvear - The street is not only famous for the most exclusive representatives of haute couture, but also for old residences and small palaces, and stretches 7 blocks, that's a lot of shopping!
- Check out Calle Florida & Galerias Pacifico, Palermo & Palermo Viejo (thanks Grazi for your excellent tips!), where I should find a lot of leathergoods & Argentinian goods/designers.
- Markets of San Telmo & Recoleta - thanks to Kira & Claudia for the tips, am looking forward to this, as I love 'feiras', especially when laden with exquisite jewellery.
- Watch a Tango (and if possible, try it myself, haha!)
- Eat 'carne parillada' (grilled meats) with lots of chimichurri sauce.
- Visit Plaza de Mayo (Evita, Evita!)
- Explore Recoleta & visit 'El cemiterio' where Evita was buried (sounds morbid, but it I hear it's an incredible place)
- Go to Cafe Tortoni - a 150 year old cafe full of history & music.
- Visit the incredible colourful arquitecture of El Caminito (in La Boca, where there is also great Tango).