Thursday, August 13, 2009

Recent Buy: Complex Geometries


Hailing from Canada, Clayton Evans studied art & architecture, and debuted his label Complex Geometries in Fall 2005. With monochromatic fabrics, striking shapes to create minimalist pieces that can be worn a variety of ways, its intricate draping & distinctive cuts, Clayton creates clothes that focus on "the clean, the smart, and the soft". The concept behind Complex Geometries is very minimalist, yet designed in an intricate and interesting way; as Evans puts it “the line itself is a balance between challenging and comfortable”. The simple lines of the pieces, usually made of silk and jersey, play off the different geometrical shapes used by Evans resulting in a line of clothes that is cool and fresh without trying too hard.

The SS09 collection played around with the notions of travel (the clothes are light & pack well) and unconventional cuts
, CG's signature look. I have been coveting this Silk Split Square dress for a year or so.

When
Mathilde generously shared that CG was offering 40% off for one day only (which I fortuitously read just before I was heading to bed), I swiftly pounced on the opportunity to finally acquire this dress.

A reversible black asymmetrical silk column dress with a slight cowl and a silk chiffon lining that hangs longer than the satin outer layer. This dress is a prime example of CG's wonderfully utopian formula: garments that have several permutations, allowing the wearer to choose front or back, inside out or outside in. I am afraid this post is mostly gratuitous, as I scoured the internet to find some of these "permutation's" in which this dress can be worn, and have collated them in this one post for my own reference.

As a fan of garments that can be worn in a variety of ways, it is often the case that after purchasing such an item, I only remember a handful (at most) of ways I can wear it, and forget the rest. Case in point: I have a Dries Van Noten large wool 'wrap' that has five holes in it, and like a CG piece, could be worn in 1001 different ways, which looked cool on the mannequin, but when I took it home, I was dumbfounded as to how to wear it, I wish it had come with instructions. but that is another post altogether...


www.complexgeometries.com

www.oaknyc.com
www.reborn.com.ws

www.complexgeometries.com

31 comments:

  1. Haha, I thought so too, H! Thought I'd keep the photo as it'll show me how to get the effect from the front, but will need to wear opaque leggings or skinny jeans or something if I wear it that way, weird! :) Ditto for the hole on the back...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful dress. I love things you can wear multiple ways... It's a recession-friendly thing, wouldn't you say? ;)

    Now... when can I come to visit and raid your closet? You have the BEST things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE COMPLEX GEOMETRIES!!!
    I've purchased a white asymetric shirt dress about one month ago - and I love it so much! I already thought about purchasing one or two other shirt dresses (tunics?) - and this black long version is amazing, too! AWESOME that it could be worn in so many different ways!
    CONGRATS TO YOUR FAB FIND!
    xoxo Sofie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting some historical background on Complex Geometries, I always wondered who the mastermind behind the label was. Also I actually don't mind the picture with the hole draped at the back, it's kinda cool in a really peverse sort of way! And I've been admiring and looking to buy one of their pieces for a while now...can't believe I missed the 40% off day...boohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting piece! You would have to take great care to wear it properly in order to prevent it from looking like a very well made sack lol. I give you props for attempting such complicated wear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it but it seems dificult to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is amazing. i think you can pull this off pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. btw
    that dress is a nosebleed. hihihihi. for all i care ill just wrap it around me. But seriously it looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. É mesmo lindo este vestido e me encanta demais a versatilidade dele! Maravilhoso!!!!
    Seu estilo é sensacional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brigadeiro-
    How are you doing today?
    Congrats on the new purchase!
    I love Complex Geometries. The collection seem easy to wear and comfortable with a funky twist to it.
    Hope you having a wonderful day love,
    xoxo
    Nini

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous review and draping!
    Reminds me of Sofie Olgaard!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi honey, i love that you can wear most of CG pieces in a multitude of ways,adoring the proportions.
    xx
    marian

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are the perfect shopping moments ;)
    Had to smile about your " ... which I fortuitously read just before I was heading to bed .."
    Have this picture in my head:
    Brigadeiro half asleep... reading the 40% offer... Brigadeiro suddenly wide awake ;)
    Congratulations on this fab!

    Black is always beautiful but the asymmetrical length and shape makes it so desirable!!!

    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so amazing!what a great purchase! You have some of the most gorgeous clothes and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The black dress is stunning, I love anything with a drape.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is definitely a timeless piece and a great investment! I love versatile clothes! I can't wait to see it on you! xxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats!! love the dress -- i'm sure you'll find more ways to wear it! can't wait to see it on you!!

    iyam
    www.styleandbeyond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love complex geometries! what a great buy, i really love that they have started introducing colour and prints into their collection, although black is always a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing you a wonderful + relaxing weekend, dear!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting dress, think I like it

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow love the dress.
    check my blog:
    http://elenafashionislife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is awesome. Can't wait to see it!!

    x.katie
    fauxasfck.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is too amazing - I can't wait to see an outfit post on this !

    bisous,
    La C.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for your sweet comment. This dress is something I definetly need to have in my closet.

    Ruhvana

    ReplyDelete
  25. So awesome. The drapings are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love it - it's comfortable chic!
    xox
    www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! :) I'm slowly coming back to blogland!

    I love how informative your blog has become and I adore your taste - it's genuinely exquisite <3

    I look forward to seeing you work this piece in many different ways. I bought a Zambesi wrap/apron dress and in the shop they were styled so many ways...I got home, and :( I had to ebay it! *blushes*

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello B.! Sorry if I didn't write to you for a while but I was on holiday in a place where there is no connection to the internet, but now I'm back and I'm reading all your old posts and I'm enjoying a lot! You always choose clothing that I find very interesting, and your posts are always very inspiring. By chance are you involved in some way in the fashion industry?

    ReplyDelete