Friday, September 19, 2014

My recipe for Pão de Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread or 'cheese balls')


I am SO sorry, if anyone tried this recipe I posted years ago, I only just realized that I had made a very big mistake as to the quantity for the flour, which means the recipe would've been a disaster.   I can't believe I have been referring friends and readers to this blog for the recipe and had not realized that until now. I am so so sorry! I have read and re-read this, and since I now know this by heart (I can make these with my eyes closed now), this is now correct. 

Pão de Queijo are one of my favourite things to eat. Ever. These Brazilian little gummy cheese 'balls' are so delicious, they are literally always a hit.

I made these again today, as friends and family were invited to join pre-preschoolers at my daughter's Montesori centre for a picnic lunch.  Lil' Brigs #1 was SO excited and looking forward to it, her excitement was uber contagious.  The weather cooperated, and it was absolutely lovely.


Pão de Queijo (GF)

Ingredients

1 kg tapioca flour (I buy this at Asian grocery stores - it says 'tapioca starch' on the packet, ideally I'd use sour cassava flour if I could find it, which I can't here in Australia)
600 mls of milk
200 ml melted butter
1 tsp of yeast (optional)
1 tsp salt
500g grated parmesan or pecorino cheese (or a mixture of both)
4 eggs

Method
1. Place the tapioca starch in a large bowl.
2. Add 300ml of cold milk to the 'flour/starch', crumb it with your fingers.
3. In a saucepan, heat the 300ml of milk and the butter/oil until it reaches almost boiling point, then turn off the heat. 
4. Add the hot milk/butter mixture to the flour in the bowl, then add the salt and yeast.
5. Mix with a wooden spoon until it cools.
6. Add the eggs one by one, stirring in between.
7. Lastly, add the grated cheese and knead the dough until smooth and homogenous.
8. Roll into little balls.
9. Place on a greased (or lined) baking tray allowing a little room for it to 'grow'.
10. Place in a preheated oven at 180ºC or 360ºF (fan-forced) until golden (usually 20-25 mins)

The texture should be crispy/crunchy on the outside, gummy/gooey on the inside....
You can also freeze the balls and store in the freezer so you can bake as required after thawing them at room temperature for 15 mins (that is what I do, as these are best eaten freshly baked). 
Enjoy!
If you make them, please do leave a comment below ;) 
Or if you already make Pão de Queijo, please feel free to share your recipe!  

 OOTD:  Top and tote: Everlane (Fall's Seed stitch raglan in merino and Petra Market tote), Shoes: Chanel espadriles, Jeans: Frame Denim (available at Shopbop and Net-a-Porter), Watch: Larsson Jennings (available here at Net-a-Porter), Ring: Balenciaga  (updated version available from Matches Fashion and Barneys), Picnic rug: Christmas present from my lovely sister.
Happy Friday everyone!


Twitter + Facebook + Peut-être magazine (Fashion Writer and Editor) + Instagram + Bloglovin' + Shop my Wardrobe

1 comment:

  1. In love with your photos!They looks very tasty :) I'm ready to try this recipe at my kitchen)

    http://reflexionaboutafashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete