Friday, January 9, 2009

Buenos Aires - Pt I: La Boca/ El Caminito

I am happy to report that I accomplished most (if not all) I intended to do whilst in Buenos Aires as I posted in "Buenos Aires - Here we Come". One of the highlights of my trip to Buenos Aires was El Caminito, in La Boca. I am glad we went early to avoid the crowds, which allowed us to soak in the gorgeous happy colours and architecture of this old area. Later in the morning the La Boca markets started, with jewellery, leather and craft stalls attracting the many tourists.

I heard La Boca was quite an unsafe area, and in most parts of Buenos Aires I had my Chloe Ava bag slung across my body. I looked absolutely silly, but oh well, better safe than sorry I suppose...

Quilmes was our favourite beer in Argentina, and I'm not even a huge beer drinker! It was refreshing and 'clean' and crazily, cheaper than water! You could get a 1l bottle for $3 to $4 pesos!

There were some crazy porteños (Buenos Aires residents) checking us out from their window sills.


12 comments:

  1. Those colours are mind blowing! What a colourful place to visit. Imagine living there... my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha no worries about the short comment! you sound very busy and frazzled, i hate coming back from holidays and having to get back into the routine of things. when i get back from my trip i have to go straight to uni almost... ah! i'm so nervous (but also excited for it) :)

    these pictures are lovely. the colours are just stunning! so bright and vibrant! and that cat is v. cute.

    i really want to go there now. ah! i'm already planning new trips.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. oi! parece que vc gostou do caminito, né? é realmente super diferente! bjs e bem-vinda! ah, tem presente p/vc lá no blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just in awe of how colorful the city is. It looks AMAZING. I'm so glad you had fun! More cities to add to my travel wishlist now... xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those puppet things a little frightening! I love the colors though. It looks so bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a colourful place !!! it seems so joyful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement - I really do appreciate it! And deep down, I know that it WILL be great! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. the lady staring out the window is creepy! but the photos are beautiful and capture the feel of the city..
    xx-LJ from SOS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love colours. How vibrant. I hope you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this colorful buildings! wish to go there!
    great photos, nice blog
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great pics. i'd love to go and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love thes photographs -- especially the green wall with the orange shutters. Have updated my links as well :)

    ReplyDelete